Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members-Only Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member, then please first join at http://forum.rivertac.org/register using your real name.

Forum Membership is with Real Names only.
Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will save our Admin team the need to contact you about changing it)

http://rivertac.org/membership

Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Eel Trap Results 2017
Yesterday at 6:00 pm by patrick barker

» Better access to free Thames fishing in Reading
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am by Ed Randall

» Eel screens on Water Works intakes
Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm by Julian Jones

» River Thames Conditions - Quick Dial Numbers
Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am by Ed Randall

» Ap[ril showers? If only! Drought beckons...
Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm by Ed Randall

» Abbey river this Saturday (12/5/2012)
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Molesey Eel Monitoring Training ~ 29th April 2017
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am by David Harvey

» Thames Water fined a record £20m for River Thames pollution
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm by Stephen Bond

» Crane Riverfly Training ~ May 6th 2017
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am by Ed Randall

» TAC visit to Tideway Tunnel Exhibition in Parliament
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am by John LeSurf

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Egham & Stains bankside enhancement followed by brewery trip
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm by Ed Randall

» SE Rivers Trust needs help on Hogsmill
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm by Ed Randall

» Crane volunteering opportunities
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Seal (with enormous fish) in Thames near Richmond Lock
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am by Ed Randall

» [Petition] to eradicate size and catch limits for pike to be taken and culled
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am by Ed Randall

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm by Ed Randall

» reels for sale
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am by JeffHowe

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am by Admin

» New users - Registration issues
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am by Ed Randall

» Shepperton river death - Van removed near Dockett Eddy Lane
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am by Ed Randall

» EA Pollution incidents: 2015 evidence summary
Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 am by David Harvey

» Ham & Petersham cleanup Saturday 19th Nov
Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm by Ed Randall

» LIVE THAMES TEMPS AND CLARITY - TAC exclusive!
Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 pm by Stephen Bond

» Citizen Crane Forum at ZSL - Mon 14th Nov 2016
Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» fishing trolleys
Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am by Harry Notley

» Draw off 2016
Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Exciting new Smelt Project - call for volunteers!
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm by Ed Randall

» Garlic spam
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm by David Harvey

» Eel Trap Results 2016
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 pm by David Harvey

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Share | 

EA tidal fish surveys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
James Page

PostSubject: EA tidal fish surveys   Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:17 am

the very kind folks at the EA have invited our club members to be present during their survey work, health and safety restrictions apply, so all anyone will be allowed to do is paddle to welly depth and help pull the net, however they really appreciate having us observing, maybe helping, so get on down and say hello

monday 27/09 richmond 1400hrs downstream of richmond bridge
tuesday 28/09 kew, strand on the green 14.30hrs
wednesday 29/09 chiswick eyot 1400hrs
thursday 30/09 battersea, st marys church 13.30hrs
monday 11/10 west thurrock
tuesday 12/10 greenwich
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:50 am

james page wrote:
the very kind folks at the EA have invited our club members to be present during their survey work, health and safety restrictions apply, so all anyone will be allowed to do is paddle to welly depth and help pull the net, however they really appreciate having us observing, maybe helping, so get on down and say hello

monday 27/09 richmond 1400hrs downstream of richmond bridge
tuesday 28/09 kew, strand on the green 14.30hrs
wednesday 29/09 chiswick eyot 1400hrs
thursday 30/09 battersea, st marys church 13.30hrs
monday 11/10 west thurrock
tuesday 12/10 greenwich

Superb. Something I've wanted to do for a long time and I'll definitely make a couple. I just hope there's not a big sewage discharge the day before No
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5356

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:19 am

Nice one Jim. Will check my rota but pretty sure can get down for one of them.
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Am going Monday - will let you all know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 am

Feedback as promised. Jim and I went to watch the EA fisheries team netting downstream from Richmond bridge.

The EA team were truly impressive in attitude and knowledge. If you think you know your fish you have got nothing on this lot. They were able to ID fish an inch long without a second glance me and Jim didn't have a clue about. As Jim noted, they could ID fish just by their eyes.

The 2 girls on the team would put us all to shame on their fish and river knowledge and 3 of the 4 blokes are anglers (one is with Walton PAC) and it was very clear they care as much about what goes on as we do. They are disgusted by poaching, pollution spills and sewage aswell. Anglers have done them a massive disservice. We moan they don't check the licenses but what we realised today is that's because they're busy doing conservation work, pollution clear ups and crucially, closing down illegal netting operations.

I think I heard correctly when they said they've stopped 5 illegal nettings this year on the tidal. Personally, I'd rather they aren't around to check the odd Polish lure angler if it means they can close down netting operations. We might lose a few to the pot but that's nothing compared to what gets caught by nets and long lines.

Species netted today......bleak, dace, roach, minnow (very rare on the tidal apparently - I'd never seen excitement over a minnow), eel (elver size so nice to see), bullhead, sticklebacks, perch and incredibly..this is Richmond....gobies, bass! and prawns Very Happy They were positively ID'd as prawns not shrimp. Roach by far were predominant, followed by dace. These were all 1st, 2nd, 3rd year fish (bigger fish are scared off by the net) but it was amazing to see the sea fish by Richmond bridge, especially bass. Each fish was measured then returned. Trending data isn't available yet but gut feeling from them is the river is healthy as previous years. No baby zander, pike, bream, barbel or carp which I was looking out for.

As anglers we were stunned by the sheer volume of small silvers. Think again how much groundbait you chuck in - you need to double it with all those blighters picking at it.

I'll be at the Battersea netting Thursday - I think this is where it starts getting brackish so will be interesting to contrast. They've said I can take pics so I'll post them up for you.

Back to top Go down
James Page

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:31 am

top post buddy
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

Will be with the Environment Agency's Thames fisheries team tomorrow at Battersea.

Does anyone have any questions you want me to ask while I'm there about any of the Thames species?

E.g. stocking, survey results, trends, pollution kills, habitat loss or repair, fish passes at weirs, fishing rights etc?
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Feedback from netting this week at Kew and Chiswick was the same species as Richmond, with healthier numbers of elvers and the odd flounder, one big. The EA guys have seen flounders riding the incoming tide high up in the water, then when they get to their feeding ground they drop to the bottom till the next turn of the tide. Less competition than the estuary.

Went to to the Battersea netting today, so 7 bridges down river from Mondays netting. This is roughly where the water starts to get brackish, so the differences would be interesting.

In the nets at Battersea today were no bleak, dace, minnow, bullhead or sticklebacks (although dace expected).

However, what is at Battersea is loads of baby bream, abundant 3oz roach, eels, perch and predominantly, smelt. Stacks of smelt. We didn't get any flounders at Richmond but plenty today in Battersea, plus baby bass and goby again.

The EA team said they are seeing a lot more elvers than previous years - their boffins don't know why - great news though.

If you like thinking about your angling, 3 things for you:

PS I think these are real 'edges' but I think they should be shared to you club members. If it wasn't for TAC I wouldn't have got to go on EA nettings and wouldn't have learned them. Hope they help.

In all their years netting the tidal Thames they've never netted pike, not even fry. There's been studies done on pike's resistance to salt water and it's not high so this scarcity may not be that surprising. They're caught on the semi tidal (fresh water) but has anyone caught on the tidal? I'll leave you to work out what apex predators to fish for then... Wink

This was fascinating to see and will influence my fishing now. Slack water there today lasted only 3 or 4 minutes. They did a netting at slack and then one straight after - maybe 7 or 8 mins later - by then the tide had started coming in. The first net's contents were completely different from the second net. First net at slack water was coarse fish plus smelt. Second net was sea fish. As soon as that tide comes in, the coarse fish move away/(are swept away willingly?) from the incoming salinity back up river to fresher water. I saw today with my own eyes that on the tidal that far down (brackish water) you're best fishing for coarse silvers on the ebb or slack.

The 3rd thing to think about is the pic below. Prawns and shrimp - both marine. Richmond we saw I think 3 or 4 but the full tidal is teeming with them. There's a stunning abundance of fish on the tidal Thames, this natural food must be supporting them i.e. this is what the fish are eating. Trip to Tescos anyone?

Back to top Go down
Ken Bennett

Male Posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:28 am

Some very interesting information there, which gives much food for thought.
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5356

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Recently I cajouled Steve H into writing a news report for the website following his attendance at these surveys. If you have not seen it please follow this link

Top work Steve Smile
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Adrian Hoare

Male Posts : 1433

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:06 am

last year i had about 15 baby bass off the weir sill at teddington whilst trying to catch livebaits with a float . they were only 4" long , but easy to see they were not ruffe , perch or zander . no stripes , no fangs , no big teeth . totally silver with a perch/zander like dorsal fin and very big mouth in comparison to its size . definately bass . i was shocked when i was getting one after the other and couldnt catch the roach and bleak that were topping by their hundreds in the area . . wish id of taken pics now to post on here .
also on this stretch whilst carping i saw a huge shoal of very big mullet in the edge , some looked to be 4-5lb at least !! i first thought they were chub , until closer inspection i saw the big rubber lips and small mouths , definately not chub , i was looking 6ft down on them in 1ft of water , 4 ft from my shoes , off a set of railings .
i went back for days to try for them and they were there every time . tried tiny spinners tipped with worm tails , normal redworms , maggots , the going bait for mullet was breadflake as we all know from harbour fishing , but they seemed so wary . didnt spook whatsoever , theyd come up to the bait , look at it and swim past . now i darent of gone any lighter than 4lb fluorocarbon and size 16 hooklength , as apparantely they go like stink once hooked !!

hi steve mate i have a couple of sensible questions you can throw their way mate , i dont know if there will be another survey coming up at some point , but have these things to ask if theres another one at some stage . nice one steve .

1, have they witnessed fish other than trout and salmon use the ladders at the weirs , and if so what fish and rough sizes ?

2, whats the biggest zander they have either seen or heard of on the semi tidal ie rich to tedd and how far up the thames do they think they have got ?

3, crayfish - we all know the semi is stuffed with those orrible mitten crabs that cut through feeder hooklengths , but have they seen any crays in the semi tidal yet , and what do they think will happen when the mittens and crays meet , so to speak ? ? ie will the crays then eat all the crabs and their eggs / young , and the crays take over ?

4, do they advise we kill all crabs caught whilst fishing ? i do personally kill all of them i hook , as they eat the fish eggs during spawning , but am i doing the right thing ? i cant resist the crunch my size 11 makes !! lol

and for the star question - WHERE DO THOSE BIG NUMBERS OF CARP GO IN THE WINTER ? and have they seen them shoaled up somewhere in tight shoals amongst snags etc for safety ?

thanks steve - kind regards to you all

adrian

Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 am

For years the smelt have gotten at least as far as Battersea and when the hot water used to run into the Thames from the Lots Rd Power Stn we used to see thousands of these die and float to the surface... eery and smelly!

The river is absolutely amazing and will throw up all sorts of surprises... as we all know! Great article Steve!

Richard Cool
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 am

Good questions Ade - will add them in.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA tidal fish surveys   

Back to top Go down

EA tidal fish surveys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1