Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members-Only Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member, then please first join at http://forum.rivertac.org/register using your real name.

Forum Membership is with Real Names only.
Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will save our Admin team the need to contact you about changing it)

http://rivertac.org/membership

Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Eel Trap Results 2017
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:46 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am by Ed Randall

» Better access to free Thames fishing in Reading
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am by Ed Randall

» Eel screens on Water Works intakes
Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm by Julian Jones

» River Thames Conditions - Quick Dial Numbers
Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am by Ed Randall

» Ap[ril showers? If only! Drought beckons...
Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm by Ed Randall

» Abbey river this Saturday (12/5/2012)
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Molesey Eel Monitoring Training ~ 29th April 2017
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am by David Harvey

» Thames Water fined a record £20m for River Thames pollution
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm by Stephen Bond

» Crane Riverfly Training ~ May 6th 2017
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am by Ed Randall

» TAC visit to Tideway Tunnel Exhibition in Parliament
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am by John LeSurf

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Egham & Stains bankside enhancement followed by brewery trip
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm by Ed Randall

» SE Rivers Trust needs help on Hogsmill
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm by Ed Randall

» Crane volunteering opportunities
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Seal (with enormous fish) in Thames near Richmond Lock
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am by Ed Randall

» [Petition] to eradicate size and catch limits for pike to be taken and culled
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am by Ed Randall

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm by Ed Randall

» reels for sale
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am by JeffHowe

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am by Admin

» New users - Registration issues
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am by Ed Randall

» Shepperton river death - Van removed near Dockett Eddy Lane
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am by Ed Randall

» EA Pollution incidents: 2015 evidence summary
Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 am by David Harvey

» Ham & Petersham cleanup Saturday 19th Nov
Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm by Ed Randall

» LIVE THAMES TEMPS AND CLARITY - TAC exclusive!
Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 pm by Stephen Bond

» Citizen Crane Forum at ZSL - Mon 14th Nov 2016
Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» fishing trolleys
Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am by Harry Notley

» Draw off 2016
Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Exciting new Smelt Project - call for volunteers!
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm by Ed Randall

» Garlic spam
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm by David Harvey

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Share | 

River Thames Record Weights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GuyBaxendale

Male Posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 am

Agreed Richard - nothing can be included on the basis of hearsay.

I had a look through my collection of Thames pics last night and I have pictures of four different 38lb fish topped by Adam's 38.11 and five different 37lb fish.

I do believe that bigger fish have been caught but I dont believe as many as some would have you think.

I look forward to seeing a picture of one

Back to top Go down
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5374

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks again for all the input chaps, is really appreciated.

From what has been said, added the 38.11 mirror is on the list as seemingly the biggest reported Mirror.

The others on the lsit that have not been able to get a geniune record are :

Bream. I have caught a double so know it should be bigger that that. So have set it as 13lb

Tench. Reported on Cemex a double but Jim emailed the captor but never had a reply. So again the closest we have got so that is the mark.

Roach. Set at 3lb. Found comment about 3lb+ Thames roach, no reports.

Eel. Chris Daphne Need your help on this one. They do go over 4 and saw that this weekend. But how big.

Rudd set at 2lb+. As Roach, comment but no true evidence

Come on chaps what do you think. All comments apprecaited. What do you know, what is your view.

Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 pm

I reckon those levels are about right Dave - this after all is for submission to a record list, not a 'really nice fish' list.

The one out of those I'd be surprised at seeing is a 3lb Thames roach...but again probably the right level for submission to a record list.

Did we find out any more on the zander? Is Ash's the biggest or was the rumoured 14 verified/pictured etc?
Back to top Go down
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5374

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Cheers Steve.

I have sent a email to the person who will know about the Zander but no reply yet.

I will go and see them on Friday anyway.

BTW Jim mush is having pc problems so hence being very quiet
Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Ben Rowe

Male Posts : 37

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:09 am

Robin Vernon wrote:
Gents, you are never going to get the true answer to this one. We need to appreciate that this is a bit different from the other records.
In general, most people who have caught the high 30's and 40's (and 40's have been caught) are not going to publicise them. Of course some big fish are publicised (Guy's, Adam's, Simon's etc) and this has been done in an intelligent way which protects the location, but there are some who make the decision to keep it to their trusted circle as they are rightly paranoid of their location and hard work being compromised. Simon was followed around by people for ages and others have been bombarded by PM's and all sorts for months afterwards, so you can imagine why some people opt for zero publicity.
I'm not making a judgement on which is right or wrong, as there is no right or wrong - is up to the individual, if it were me I might opt for publicity but keep the location secret, but whatever fish you have down as the record you can be sure another has been caught that tops it.

Couldnt have said it better myself Robin, as you know we have discussed this over and over again, a good debate if anything, The Thames is a mystery to many and they want to keep it that way.

I know of bigger fish then what has been stated but the people i know that have caught them, keep it in the close circle.

Dont get me wrong its nice to know whats in the river etc, but again its nice to know whats not in there, to keep that element of the unknown the mystery which again makes us lot come back for more again and again

Interesting thread though!

tight lines folk
Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:08 am

Lads, regardless of mystery and the like, it will be great to set the TAC mark of the "Thames Records"... I ain't a fan of the British Records per se, doesn't stop me from seeing them as markers in many regards, even though the list on a national level is utterly flawed! The Thames Record list, in my mind, is totally fascinating (being a Thames Boy!), and those that do wan't to place their captures on the list should be actively encouraged... it might see a few more rods on the bank, but that's what we want... isn't it? It ain't going to make catching them any easier that's for sure! Laughing

There's a lot of positive in this and it far outweighs any negative side-effect IMO.

Discuss! Wink

Richard Cool
Back to top Go down
Ben Rowe

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

"The Thames Record list, in my mind, is totally fascinating (being a Thames Boy!)"

Im a Thames boy too mate and it is fascinating, just feel that we'll never know the true records, but the lists you guys have worked hard on is still an awesome list! Very Happy

"it might see a few more rods on the bank, but that's what we want... isn't it?"

each to there own mate, lets hope there fishing your swims Wink

good effort on the list though guys Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:40 am

Richard wrote:
... it might see a few more rods on the bank, but that's what we want... isn't it?"

Ben Rowe wrote:
each to there own mate, lets hope there fishing your swims Wink

I understand your point Ben, but just think of it from a slightly differently angle. The once popular reaches/stretches of old just don't have the anglers on the bank and that doesn't bode well for the future of angling on the Thames as a whole. If you don't have the numbers of anglers on the bank enjoying the river, then you don't have the next generation looking after what we have left, and even possibly gaining old ground once lost. As long as the youngsters are coming through Ben I don't see a problem.

As I'm sure you are accutely aware, the carp in the Thames are hard to come by, and it is carp that float the boat of many a youngster/newbie (for better or worse). Carp over 30lb aren't an easy capture and you are not going to see a massive migration from the lakes to the rivers among anglers through a Thames Record List, as the workrate is too high for the numbers and weights, you will only see those that have a taste for "adventure". But that will happen regardless, and I don't see a list of "Thames Record Carp" (for example) attracting people in their droves, in fact it may do the exact opposite! Stop people dreaming of Thames 40's & 50's and all that jazz!!!

Regarding "my swims" Ben, I've fished the river (on/off) for 37 years, and I don't think I've ever gotten too wound up once a spot has blown, through people sussing out where and when I've had a couple, that's life mate. I ain't gonna 'blow a fuse' because the natural order of things is helping me to move to a new swim, as I don't own it, and it ain't a syndicated lake, simple as.

Richard Wink
Back to top Go down
Ben Rowe

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 am

Richard, I do agree with what your saying, especially about youngsters in the sport, my post was more tongue in cheek and early morning banter with regards to fishing your swims mate Wink

The river is a public place and anyone can fish where and when they want to which we agree on

I have plenty of swims, so if people are fishing where I want to...simples I go onto another productive area...or even so i;ll go out in my boat

Your right about the 30s being hard to catch, maybe Isaac is on my side as I have had my fair share Wink

Again I think the point I was trying to come to is that what ever records of fish we have we can be sure there’s bigger out there. but that aint a bad thing!

I fully support what your guys are trying to achieve I just have my own way of going about.

also on a different topic, im proud they way you guys have been clearing up the river, i may of not been able to meet you guys for a clear up, but you can be sure im doing it when im out and about

tight lines mate
Back to top Go down
Richard Crimp
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 pm

No, spot on Ben, all good mister! Laughing

People should work for their fish, regardless of where they're fishing, be it lake or river and I'm fully appreciative of the hard work many of us put in to receive a reward for our efforts.

See the irony is, even though it would be big news (to those of us that know the significance), I don't see a low 40 being publicised as creating that much of a stir in the wider community, at least not in terms of mid-long term "newbie" carp anglers on the bank... anything that tops 45+ and I think we would have a serious number of "campers" appear on the bank. I fully understand anyone's reasoning in not publicising captures, as I've never done it myself other than a few on this forum and on another that I jointly own (in fact I wouldn't take photo's up until a few years ago?), however, if I was lucky enough to catch any fish over 35lb on the Thames I would seriously have to think regarding as to when I would put it up on here, or the other forum?

Trust me, I'm with yer Ben, it is within our nature to keep a bit back for ourselves, or among a few close friends, but I don't see the TAC Thames Record List jeopardising our chances of keeping the 'mystery' in all honesty!

Richard Cool
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Update for you lads - I've been speaking to clubs/fishing rights owners along the river, including up to where the Thames is a stream. Some lovely fish have been discussed with the chairmen/bailiffs but no potential records.

Biggest problem is clubs with no phone contacts, only a generic email like info@xxxx.org but we crack on.

Clubs approached so far are BADAC, BRPS, Boyers, Littlemore, ODAA, London Anglers, RDAA, TDFC, YDAC, Intertype, Ashton Keynes, Goring, Abingdon, Swindon Golden Carp, South Cerney. Loads more to speak to.

I've stressed it's a record list for all Thames clubs to share and is to try and satisfy angling curiosity aswell as serve as a health indicator for the river - all feedback so far has been positive but no record submissions...yet.

Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:23 pm

We've also now chatted to the chairmen of Warborough & Shillingford, Dorchester AC and Newlands AC. Those 3 clubs plus South Cerney all said today our record list will be printed out and taken to their next meetings.

Posted on Uxbridge Rovers forum. Mailed Remenham, chased up some others. So far still no fish to make it to the list but everyone up for helping.

This is just for your interest really after chats with quite a few a Thames bailiffs over the last few weeks.....many clubs said big fish completely disappeared after the floods the other year. What were hotspots aren't now. However, there's multiple 7lb eels caught in the river that came from one of the clubs lakes near Oxfordshire in the floods (no proof for the list though). Chub at 7lb+ seem to be caught along the river. Grayling are in some of the stretches, so we should put grayling on the record list. Occasional sea trout caught as far up as Dorchester. No zander seen up river yet. No mittens either. Barbel 11-16lb caught in many stretches. No-one so far has even heard a whisper of a 3lb Thames roach.

Hope that's of interest - will get back on the list next week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Thames Record Weights   

Back to top Go down

River Thames Record Weights
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2