Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members-Only Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member, then please first join at http://forum.rivertac.org/register using your real name.

Forum Membership is with Real Names only.
Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will save our Admin team the need to contact you about changing it)

http://rivertac.org/membership

Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Thames Semi-Tidal Draw Off 2017
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 pm by Ed Randall

» Eel Trap Results 2017
Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm by patrick barker

» Fish-swallowing Angler "lucky to be alive"
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:01 am by Ed Randall

» River Mole polluted at Horley
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 am by Ed Randall

» Petition to stop the export of elvers
Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:16 pm by Ed Randall

» Riverfly Training ~ Hogsmill ~ 30th Sept 2017
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:56 am by Ed Randall

» Monster fatberg in Whitechapel
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm by Ed Randall

» Radio 4 ~ Macquarie: The Tale of the River Bank
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 pm by Ed Randall

» Thames TideFest 10th September 2017
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am by John LeSurf

» Invitation to the 2017 Eel Forum ~ 17th October
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 am by Ed Randall

» Do you recognise any of these men?
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am by Ed Randall

» Better access to free Thames fishing in Reading
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am by Ed Randall

» Eel screens on Water Works intakes
Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm by Julian Jones

» River Thames Conditions - Quick Dial Numbers
Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am by Ed Randall

» Ap[ril showers? If only! Drought beckons...
Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm by Ed Randall

» Abbey river this Saturday (12/5/2012)
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Molesey Eel Monitoring Training ~ 29th April 2017
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am by David Harvey

» Thames Water fined a record £20m for River Thames pollution
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm by Stephen Bond

» Crane Riverfly Training ~ May 6th 2017
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am by Ed Randall

» TAC visit to Tideway Tunnel Exhibition in Parliament
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am by John LeSurf

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Egham & Stains bankside enhancement followed by brewery trip
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm by Ed Randall

» SE Rivers Trust needs help on Hogsmill
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm by Ed Randall

» Crane volunteering opportunities
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Seal (with enormous fish) in Thames near Richmond Lock
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am by Ed Randall

» [Petition] to eradicate size and catch limits for pike to be taken and culled
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am by Ed Randall

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm by Ed Randall

» reels for sale
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am by JeffHowe

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am by Admin

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Share | 

Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3205

PostSubject: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Richmond Council are consulting on imposing a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) (recently renamed "Community Parking Zone" to make it sound like it is some sort of benefit)  across North St.Margarets including Ranelagh Drive.  This is one of the few remaining bits of free parking near the Thames in Richmond, it runs parallel to the river just upstream of the half-lock.  Yes it gets a lot of commuter parking during the week, but NO it is not a residential road, and it is subject to flooding on a good spring tide so commuters have to be careful and in my experience there are usually spaces available there.  

I know a lot of you park and fish from there, I know of at least one disabled family who use it, it might not be the greatest spot but it isn't bad and you can practically fish from the car.  Of course you can also park there and walk across the half-lock giving you access to the towpath from Richmond to Kew (and beyond if you don't mind a long walk).

How ironic it would be if we lost this amenity in the 800th year of Magna Carta.

For sure the proposal is "only" Mon-Fri 10am-noon, but that could be inconvenient to some and is the thin end of a wedge, we must oppose it in Ranelagh Drive on principal.

Chris Gadesden brought this to our attention at the AGM and I'm really sorry to admit I rather forgot about it.  He emailed us again last week though:
Chris Gadesden wrote:
Hi guys it would appear that my worst fears have come true. As of the 1st of July parking at St Margret's opposite Richmond lock will be prohibited Mon through to Fri. Single yellow lines have now been painted in River Lane above Petersham meadows too. Another nail into the coffin of tidal Thames fishing. Any one want to buy a boat?
Regards Chris Gadsden. A.K.A. Crispy Duck.
P.S. Photo from the steps above lock opposite the parking I have enjoyed since I was a lad.

Now all is not yet lost.  Chris' fears are not quite realized yet, there is a second stage consultation (they seem to do this by wearing you down, divide-and-conquer!) which ends on Friday 3rd July.  We beat this at Cowey Sale and we can beat it here.  

Here is the link to the consultation - you need to put your address and postcode, but it does not matter that you live outside the borough.  Go for the "loss of amenity" and "Magna Carta 800" angles.  
https://consultation.richmond.gov.uk/highways-transport/st-margarets-parking-review-zone-s3

Get your responses in as soon as possible.  They only accept 50 words, so a long rant (which I started on, before I realized) is not possible.  Here is what I submitted on the club's behalf:

Thames Anglers Conservancy strongly oppose the loss of free parking in Ranelagh Drive.  This is one of the few free and accessible parking places near the Thames around Richmond.  Loss of this amenity would be ironic in the 800th year of Magna Carta, which set out free fishing rights.

Write a variation on that or try some of these, keep it varied.  I left out explicitly mentioning "disabled" because the council might consider that a blue badge would provide free parking anyway, and legitimise this imposition - but if you have any special needs then do of course put that in.

I strongly oppose the loss of free parking in Ranelagh Drive which will result in loss of angling amenity on this unique free stretch of river.  I regularly fish this area with my father who, whilst not disabled, has difficulty walking long distances.  This is not a residential road.

This is one of the few free and accessible parking places near the Thames around Richmond where anglers can park and fish.  The road is non-residential and subject to flooding on a spring tide, you cannot reasonably charge to park there in any case.

It is ironic that on the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta, which granted free fishing rights on the Thames from Staines to the estuary, Richmond council should seek to limit access to this valuable amenity.

Angling Trust member #61385

Last edited by Ed Randall on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Johnson

PostSubject: Re: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:00 pm

completed on line form voicing my displeasure of changes to the parking arrangements
Back to top Go down
Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3205

PostSubject: Re: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks Matt

John Ellis at the Canal & Rivers Trust has also circulated it to his extensive mailing list for us and the Angling Trust have put in an objection as well.  Fingers crossed, with enough pressure together we should be able to stop this nonsense.

Angling Trust member #61385
Back to top Go down
Geoff Sykes

Male Posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:31 pm

Have expressed my concerns on the online survey
Back to top Go down
Brian Woolsey

PostSubject: Re: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:47 pm

completed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*   

Back to top Go down

Oppose loss of free parking at Richmond Lock *URGENT*
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1