Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members-Only Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member, then please first join at http://forum.rivertac.org/register using your real name.

Forum Membership is with Real Names only.
Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will save our Admin team the need to contact you about changing it)

http://rivertac.org/membership

Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Eel Trap Results 2017
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:46 pm by Ed Randall

» Roads closed everywhere ~ July 29th/30th ~ bike race
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 am by Ed Randall

» Better access to free Thames fishing in Reading
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am by Ed Randall

» Eel screens on Water Works intakes
Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm by Julian Jones

» River Thames Conditions - Quick Dial Numbers
Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am by Ed Randall

» Ap[ril showers? If only! Drought beckons...
Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm by Ed Randall

» Abbey river this Saturday (12/5/2012)
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Molesey Eel Monitoring Training ~ 29th April 2017
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am by David Harvey

» Thames Water fined a record £20m for River Thames pollution
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm by Stephen Bond

» Crane Riverfly Training ~ May 6th 2017
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am by Ed Randall

» TAC visit to Tideway Tunnel Exhibition in Parliament
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am by John LeSurf

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Egham & Stains bankside enhancement followed by brewery trip
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm by Ed Randall

» SE Rivers Trust needs help on Hogsmill
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm by Ed Randall

» Crane volunteering opportunities
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Seal (with enormous fish) in Thames near Richmond Lock
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am by Ed Randall

» [Petition] to eradicate size and catch limits for pike to be taken and culled
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am by Ed Randall

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm by Ed Randall

» reels for sale
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am by JeffHowe

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am by Admin

» New users - Registration issues
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am by Ed Randall

» Shepperton river death - Van removed near Dockett Eddy Lane
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am by Ed Randall

» EA Pollution incidents: 2015 evidence summary
Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 am by David Harvey

» Ham & Petersham cleanup Saturday 19th Nov
Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm by Ed Randall

» LIVE THAMES TEMPS AND CLARITY - TAC exclusive!
Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 pm by Stephen Bond

» Citizen Crane Forum at ZSL - Mon 14th Nov 2016
Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» fishing trolleys
Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am by Harry Notley

» Draw off 2016
Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Exciting new Smelt Project - call for volunteers!
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm by Ed Randall

» Garlic spam
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm by David Harvey

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Share | 

Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Thought this maybe of interest as shows how local groups have got together to improve a river.
Certainly low cost and very effective.

Last week Environment Agency staff joined forces with members from the Revive the Wye group, the Wild Trout Trust, Wycombe District Council, Chepping Wycombe Parish Council and the Chiltern Chalk Streams Project to undertake a number of habitat enhancements on the Wycombe Marsh Brook at Kingsmead in High Wycombe.

The Wycombe Marsh Brook is a tributary of the River Wye and like the main Wye is a chalk stream, capable of supporting a wide diverse range of aquatic Plants and animals. In the past both the Wye and The Wycombe Marsh Brook supported excellent populations of wild brown trout, however industrialisation of High Wycombe, particularly in the post-war years has lead to habitat degradation and water quality issue’s that have all had detrimental impacts on the local fish populations. Water quality over the last twenty years has continued to improve but a lack of suitable habitat in places still proves to be a problem.

The recent project looked to address this issue by improving habitat on a 200m section of river that was uniform in width and depth and provided little in the way of instream features. A number of techniques were employed such as using bundles of willow branches or ‘faggots’ to help narrow the river down to help remove silt and expose gravels, essential for trout spawning. Logs and other large woody debris were also secured in place and used to provide areas of cover, create different flow patterns and depth profiles and to generally provide a number of different habitats beneficial for fish and aquatic insects and plants.

A section of the river prior to the works

Tom Sherwood, Fisheries Officer for the Environment Agency said, “the sort of small scale habitat enhancements we have undertaken here on the Wycombe Marsh Brook are
very easy to install yet
incredibly effective of providing the much needed instream habitat that the local fish, plant and invertebrate populations require.”

Allen Beechey from the Chiltern Chalk Streams Project added, “What was previously a section of river that was uniform and had little in the way of ecological value has now been improved through a number of low cost techniques which will have benefits for the local aquatic fauna and flora.”

Jeff Herschel, Chairman of Chepping Wycombe Parish Council said, “The work builds on a previous project undertaken last year where residents have pointed out that not only has it improved the habitat for wildlife but also made a significant improvement to the visual amenity of Loudwater”.

Willow faggots were used to help narrow the river down

Logs were installed to act as flow deflectors

Back to top Go down
http://www.rivertac.org
Andy Venn

Male Posts : 134

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:40 pm

this little river is a hidden gem,further upstream its a roach fisher mans dream regular reports of 1lb plus fish being caught.

im glad its being looked after as the local kids use it quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Dave Durrant

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Great news.

I know this area well.
I used to take my young daughter here with a small net, great fun examining the water life.
I even taught her to ride a bike in the the surrounding park.
Then we'd head up to the Dyke. Netted 24 crayfish in an hour once...she was chuffed. Smile

She'll be 21 in a fortnight. cheers

Back to top Go down
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5374

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Good to hear Dave, Andy, dont know it myself so pleased it has happened in right place.

Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Ed Randall

Male Posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:03 am

A lot of the Crane is dead straight like that, I wonder if we can get some of this style of
habitat enhancement done there as part of the recovery project.
Back to top Go down
Paul Snell

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 am

Coincidentally, I seem to recall there was a polution/fish kill incident on this river some years ago (or possibly it was the Wye itself ?).

Back to top Go down
Andy Venn

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:06 pm

cant remeber if there was a polution/fish kill incident on this little stream but can rember working in texas/homebase which is down stream from the part they have heleped and watched loads of fish inc barbel and brown trout being restocked so possibly it had been ruined?
Back to top Go down
Paul Snell

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:28 pm

On line research indicates there was a cyanide spillage (on the Wye) & consequent fish kill back in '96 with bream up to 6lbs & roach over 2lbs amongst the casualties. There was also an oil spillage in September (or was it July?) this year that injured a number of wildfowl, but no reports of dead fish. Running right through (under in places) the town and adjoining industrial estates - the rivers are obviously vulnerable to inept and nefarious practices.

Looks a lovely bit of river, but apparently the only (known) place with free fishing was behind the Homebase, but that's now been fenced off. If anyone knows differently do let me know (PM if you'd rather not publicise on an open forum) as it's only a half hour from me & I'd love a go on a bit of genuine chalk stream.

Last edited by Paul Snell on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andy Venn

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:34 pm

So then you would like a bit of info hmm well lets see.....
yep the free bit is the bit that runs behind homebase and yep it has been fenced off but you could if your sneeky Suspect jump over and have a go at a lovely stretch of the river and if memory serves me right if you wander down stream there is a pond where the river enters it then leaves it ie a cattle drink let me have a look on google maps and i will let you know.

You cant be to far away from me Paul i live in beaconsfield...
Back to top Go down
Paul Snell

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for the info - I'll go & take a look next time I'm out that way. Is the tackle shop I saw reference to (Marsh's) still there?

I'm near Egham so the M25/M40 junction's less than 15 minutes on a good day, but for some reason have only ever looked east or south for my fishing (holidays in Devon & Yorkshire excepted).
Back to top Go down
Dave Durrant

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:06 pm

It's not very big. Some areas are only a few inches deep in places narrow enough to jump over.

I had a look behind Homebase, just about accesible with a duck and a dive.

You may have a better chance downstream, past Wooburn Green where the river runs alongside the road, near the old Grange (Fawlty Towers) nightclub. Evidence of angling, but probably kids.

Old stories of big trout and roach (but only stories) so you may be chasing shadows. Crying or Very sad I've only seen very small chublets and the odd tiny trout.

It would be nice to know if anyone has any success. Probably best to have a reccie on a bright summers day.
Back to top Go down
Andy Venn

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Paul Snell wrote:
Thanks for the info - I'll go & take a look next time I'm out that way. Is the tackle shop I saw reference to (Marsh's) still there?

I'm near Egham so the M25/M40 junction's less than 15 minutes on a good day, but for some reason have only ever looked east or south for my fishing (holidays in Devon & Yorkshire excepted).

The tackle shop is there but it has changed hands and i dont know what it's like now.

As Dave has said i wouldn't make a special trip over just for this river best to team it up with a trip to the thames etc.
Back to top Go down
Dave Durrant

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:39 pm

"The tackle shop is there but it has changed hands and i dont know what it's like now."

'Bucks Tackle' now.
Quite a lot of gear from all the top manufacturers, but a strange unfriendly atmosphere in there. alien
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wycombe Marsh Brook benefits from habitat enhancements   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1