Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum
TAC Members-Only Forum
If you have arrived here and not yet signed up as a member, then please first join at http://forum.rivertac.org/register using your real name.

Forum Membership is with Real Names only.
Please create a Username that is your First Name and Surname eg. "Joe Bloggs"
(This will save our Admin team the need to contact you about changing it)

http://rivertac.org/membership

Thames Anglers' Conservancy Members Forum

HomeHome  TAC Home PageTAC Home Page  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Navigation
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Eel Trap Results 2017
Today at 6:00 pm by patrick barker

» Better access to free Thames fishing in Reading
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am by Ed Randall

» Eel screens on Water Works intakes
Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm by Julian Jones

» River Thames Conditions - Quick Dial Numbers
Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am by Ed Randall

» Ap[ril showers? If only! Drought beckons...
Thu May 04, 2017 6:56 pm by Ed Randall

» Abbey river this Saturday (12/5/2012)
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm by Ed Randall

» Molesey Eel Monitoring Training ~ 29th April 2017
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am by David Harvey

» Thames Water fined a record £20m for River Thames pollution
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:54 pm by Stephen Bond

» Crane Riverfly Training ~ May 6th 2017
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:08 am by Ed Randall

» TAC visit to Tideway Tunnel Exhibition in Parliament
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am by John LeSurf

» "Citizen Crane" project - sampling dates
Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Egham & Stains bankside enhancement followed by brewery trip
Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:27 pm by Ed Randall

» SE Rivers Trust needs help on Hogsmill
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm by Ed Randall

» Crane volunteering opportunities
Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm by Ed Randall

» Seal (with enormous fish) in Thames near Richmond Lock
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:34 am by Ed Randall

» [Petition] to eradicate size and catch limits for pike to be taken and culled
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am by Ed Randall

» *Thames Tunnel (Tideway Tunnel)*
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:42 pm by Ed Randall

» reels for sale
Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 am by JeffHowe

» A new address for 2017 ~ forum.rivertac.org
Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:06 am by Admin

» New users - Registration issues
Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:47 am by Ed Randall

» Shepperton river death - Van removed near Dockett Eddy Lane
Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:54 am by Ed Randall

» EA Pollution incidents: 2015 evidence summary
Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 am by David Harvey

» Ham & Petersham cleanup Saturday 19th Nov
Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:01 pm by Ed Randall

» LIVE THAMES TEMPS AND CLARITY - TAC exclusive!
Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 pm by Stephen Bond

» Citizen Crane Forum at ZSL - Mon 14th Nov 2016
Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am by Ed Randall

» fishing trolleys
Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am by Harry Notley

» Draw off 2016
Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm by Ed Randall

» Exciting new Smelt Project - call for volunteers!
Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 pm by Ed Randall

» Garlic spam
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm by David Harvey

» Eel Trap Results 2016
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:31 pm by David Harvey

Angling Data View
River Levels
UK Map

Thames Tides

Share | 

River Guardians Reports 2011/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
David Harvey

Male Posts : 5356

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Thank Paul, good to meet you yesterday. Funny what you find, great pic And thanks for the efforts.

Smile

In terms of habitat restoration, we run everything through the EA fisheries so will do that. Penton hook was similar so will get them involved. Should be past spawning time, need to think about nesting etc. Thanks for posting it up mate and we will get on it.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
http://Rivertac.org
Robin Vernon

Male Posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Looks like an entry for The Turner Prize Laughing

Paul Snell wrote:
Took a wander along the banks of the Bourne by Chertsey Library on Sunday on my way back from Desborough Island (still had half an hour of my "green card" to use up).

Started off heading up stream & spent a few happy moments watching several shoals of silvers from the various footbridges (which may be getting some attention from my fly road in a couple of hours). I then returned to the Library and headed downstream to be greeted by this:

I've eventually managed to contact the right person in the right department @ Runnymede BC (their web site appeared to be down early today) so hopefully all should be removed shortly, unless they're anything like the garden waste recycling service(?!!) which has yet again has failed to empty our green bag on a collecting day.

On the subject of the Bourne (Chertsey branch) - one of my favourite swims from years back, on the bend by the library is virtually unfishable now - banks overgrown & branches & rubble in the bottom. Are there any issues involved if I just got in with my waders & started clearing out the obstructions & chopped back some of the bank-side growth?
Back to top Go down
James Page

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 am

love it rob
paul, myself or dave will arrange to meet up and 'ave a look with you
maybe keith, our expert on crab island might wanna have a look
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

Male Posts : 2510

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:37 am

know the river really will, fished lots of times last year, Gogmore park, chub to 6Ib, bream to 5Ib, lots of big roach, dace, pike to 15Ib, seen it and court it for 10secs, barbal to 12Ib, Virginia Rushmer holds the record, the fish are well feed with bread, there is a local group who now and again do clean the river up, so be best to get in touch with these people first,don,t wont to tread on anyones toes, the river is'nt on the books with the EA, same as my river Bourne in addlestone, found this out ref the speed boat, who was to get rid of it, the people to see/talk to are the leisure department Runnymede council before we do any thing, I do like to keep on their good side sometimes, there are 3 fishing platforms, two off them are ok, but one is sited so badly, over grow willow trees, you cannot fish it. plus my son has a girlfriend who lives there woooooo, he is there a lot, plus his school friends, so we might be able to rope them into it as will, parents promission, H&S and all that, will go down there for a recce and take photoies,

Aaarrgghh pirat
Back to top Go down
Adrian Hoare

Male Posts : 1433

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 am

theres reports of lots of eu's fishing in the longwater in hampton court catching the carp off the surface for the pot and trying to foulhook fish , we need to clamp down on this one quicksmart , as ill bet the parks police have no idea , as they never patrol there . Theres some very good carp in there to pushing forty . Wont be long before they go as well . Whats next for god sake ? The royal forty from richmond being served up on the table ?
After reading the comment on cemex i tried phoning the parks police but to no avail , got transferred to the wrong people ..... Can someone else plz try to contact the parks police and report it asap ?
Id stay on the phone normally and wait to get through , but ive been at work all night and need sleep .
My guess is theyre probably going in there at night also .
Thanks everyone .
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: river bourne chertsey   Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 pm

been in touch with runnumede council. leisure, ref the Bourne chertsey, talked about the issue, its a no on any weed/overgrown & branches on banks, they have been left there for a reason, took lots and lots of pics, all 3 fishing platforms are now fishible, the river itself and banks are much better then they have been in years, you can now see a lot more of the river then you could last year and the year before that, and the year before that, i was shock, most off the reeds have been removed, better water flow now, runnymede council do a river patrol every 6/8 weeks, to get out any trolleys, engine blocks, things like that, the local group do a big clean up in October, the last time I saw this river was sept/oct last year, I have never seen it looking so good, ie, banks clear, reeds gone, I was realy shocked, saw a harron as well, tried to get photo but IT kept flying off, the water level is very, very low at moment

Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 pm

HOPE YOU all have enjoyed my pics, i got cought in the downpore , thunder amd lighting stome i look like a drowned rat
Back to top Go down
Ken Wheeler

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Keith brilliant photos keep it up
Back to top Go down
James Page

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 pm

nice one keith for the pics and digging around so we dont step on anyones toes
if you could dig out the contact details for any of those groups, admin can ping of an email
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:57 pm

James Page wrote:
nice one keith for the pics and digging around so we dont step on anyones toes
if you could dig out the contact details for any of those groups, admin can ping of an email

DETAILS on the way to me, so will pass them on as soon as i get them

from a very wet water rat

Aaarrggh pirat
Back to top Go down
JeffHowe

Male Posts : 100

PostSubject: River Bourne   Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Nice photo's Keith - What species are predominant in this stretch? Any Barbel
Back to top Go down
Keith Collett

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 pm

JeffHowe wrote:
Nice photo's Keith - What species are predominant in this stretch? Any Barbel

hi Jeff

chub to 6Ib, bream to 5Ib, lots of big roach, dace, pike to 15Ib, seen it and court it for 10secs, it took the roach i had, barbal to 12Ib, Virginia Rushmer holds the record,

no zander or cats yet
Back to top Go down
Paul Snell

Male Posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes, great photos, thanks Keith.

I fished some of that stretch last night with my fly rod: 1 small dace & a splashy miss from something much larger (chubb, I'd guess).

The trolley art installation had been removed save for a few lengths of yellow pipe lagging, one of which appears in your photo of the corner behind the library.

Was very low & clear as you say - I've never seen the bottom in the above swim before, which made me pose my original question about swim clearence. Despite the low water level the flow was about as fast as I think I've ever seen it. Might this be the result of deliberate measures to stop silting, prevent flooding or whatever?
Back to top Go down
Andrew Shaw

Male Posts : 632

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Adrian Hoare wrote:
theres reports of lots of eu's fishing in the longwater in hampton court catching the carp off the surface for the pot and trying to foulhook fish , we need to clamp down on this one quicksmart , as ill bet the parks police have no idea , as they never patrol there . Theres some very good carp in there to pushing forty . Wont be long before they go as well . Whats next for god sake ? The royal forty from richmond being served up on the table ?
After reading the comment on cemex i tried phoning the parks police but to no avail , got transferred to the wrong people ..... Can someone else plz try to contact the parks police and report it asap ?
Id stay on the phone normally and wait to get through , but ive been at work all night and need sleep .
My guess is theyre probably going in there at night also .
Thanks everyone .

Had the same problem as yourself adrian, on the day I tried contacting the parks police but couldnt get through, not sure who is the bailiff is now that les has retired...?
seems to be a major problem along the river between moseley lock and kingston at the moment, its known they can take two fish each and im sure they dont check the size and have seen them bagging gudgeon, roach and dace on the wandle so they will eat anything they catch..
If each is allowed to take two fish and its very rare you see less than three or four fishing together and thats most nights of the week and in only a short stretch how many are being taken on a weekly basis from the river as a whole Shocked
starting to wonder why the river has been fishing harder and harder over the last few years...

You just have to see what the rivers are like in their counties to see what damage can and will happen to ours.
Back to top Go down
James Annear

Male Posts : 670

PostSubject: river guardians report   Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Watched an old Matt Hayes programme on tv the other week about fishing abroad, he went to poland and caught naff all because they had eaten them all, no wonder they love this country.
Back to top Go down
James Annear

Male Posts : 670

PostSubject: river guardians report   Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:46 am

hi all,
I,m afraid it,s not looking to clever on this stretch of river, (hammersmith), normally at this time of year, early in the morning when the tide is right and the water looks like a mirror, you can see countless rings of topping fish, not this year, it,s as dead as a dodo, even the cormorants have disappeared, (no fish, no point in hanging around). Also missing this year are the crested grebes and another species of diving bird, (i,m not to sure what these birds are, they look like little grebes and there are normally loads of them about), even the Carp among the boats at furneval have not been seen, Very sad. The bubbler was out last night.
You call Thames water "elzelbub", I think "007" would be a better metaphor.
cheers
james
Back to top Go down
John Barnes

Male Posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 am

i was wondering if there was any way of trying to sort out a petition to try and get the bylaw changed about taking of fish from our rivers/lakes as there haas been loads of ee taking fish all along the thames and lakes.
this cannot continue the way its going as there are so many ee on the banks this year than ever as they all know that they can take to eat as the word is spreading around in there comunity.
at present there is nothing that can be done to stop it.
if this carrys on then over a course of a season the fish stocks will decrease as weekend just gone just on a small stretch ( cig island ) there were 7 ee fishing, lets say they all catch and take whatever there allowed and more thats a lot of fish.
at the end of the day are the ea going to restock with the size and species of fish they take, no dont think so. all there do is maybe restock small fish but then if they have to constantly keep doing then they would end up having to put up the rod licences.
i hope someone can try and sort something out as i know that many members on here having contact with the guys/girls from the ea so would be good to know if we could do something about this before it gets even further out of controll.
we all need to stick together otherwise we will be blanking more and more...

this was posted in wrong forum so i have just copyed my topic

answer from james page
as you say fella, its a mare, and everyone would agree with you

we did suggest a blanket ban on all fish removal, the arguments against were what about livebaits and non natives [zander etc]

at first glance a blanket ban would remove the 'is he taking to many' problem
but if he is allowed to take non natives/zander, is he legally obliged to be able to recognise a zander from a goldfish ?

as with all things fishy, the general public doubt our observations, and without their support we gotta badger the Angling Trust
email your local councillors, mp and everyone else you can think of

admin will get a poll up'n'running and we'll talk to the EA and angling trust

perhaps if certain areas are regularly seeing this blight, we could organise some social fish ins to coincide with this blights arrival, thus unfortunately moving the problem elsewhere

please post all this and similar info on the river guardian thread, everything logged on there is raised with the EA on a one to one basis
it dont get no better than that, but we gotta make it worth their while, so please please make the effort

Back to top Go down
Colin Brandon

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

The reach near Richmond Lock has become bivvy city since the opening, more so at weekends. Very little caught though, as far as I'm aware. In previous years the river has seemed alive with topping/rolling fish most early season dawns, especially on a flood tide. However this season I've hardly seen anything move and there is (at a guess) an 80% reduction in the cormorant numbers near the Lock. There also seems to be a surface 'sewage scum' every tide in addition to a huge number of condoms and sanitary towels. I've caught nothing but these since the start. Thanks Thames Water. Mad
Back to top Go down
Steve Holmes

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Nice one Colin - I always look for your posts as you can't beat info from an angler that makes his living from the river. No pressure for your future posts then mate! Razz

The bit about cormorants is very telling.
Back to top Go down
Neil Baker

PostSubject: Long Water Hampton Court   Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Guys/Girls

I've had quite an extensive conversation with Paul Douglas who's the Wildlife and Fisheries officer at Hampton Court Palace and he advises me that neither he or any of his security are aware or have spotted any untoward activities taking place.

Patrols happen hourly and since the start of the season all anglers they have spotted have been checked to ensure they have an EA license and a Parks license and so far none have been removed due to not having the relevant paperwork.

I shall be meeting up with Paul either later today or some point next week to show him the areas these activities have been taking place but until we have photographic evidence of these activities taking place or are able to advise the parks police at the time such events are happening all can only be classed as speculation.

Paul shall be speaking to his manager to try and get authorisation to put some boards up around the water with contact details so anyone can report anything suspicious.

If anyone has more information or photos etc please let me know.

Thanks alot.
Back to top Go down
John Barnes

Male Posts : 355

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:01 pm

i joined the parks 2 years ago and fished longwater and the times i fished it i saw the patrols only a couple of times and i never got asked for my id.
back then then they were not patrolling every hour but i hope they are doing it now but from what i have read and heard there not so maybe park patrol are telling porkys.
i thought by law you cant take any pictures of people without there consent first i may be wrong but from a problem about a swan being pulled on a narrow boat the other week was told to take picture of boat name not people..
if this is wrong then please let me know as will have a field day on the river catching the ee...
Back to top Go down
Andrew Shaw

Male Posts : 632

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I was the one who originaly posted about EEs on the longwater, it was last Sunday and I was there all day with my brother inlaw who has a ticket and we never see a single parks officer or did he have his ticket checked, there was also a family fishing the overflow but they were just using whips And dipping nets so knew they wouldn't catch so left them to it, the kids were enjoying it.
I've had a ticket on the longwater for 7years now and can honestly say I've been asked for it maybe 6 times?
I tried having a word with the EEs but they just gave that "I don't understand you" face and didn't want to cause a scene as I had my wife and son with me,
my brother inlaw on the other hand cast a lead right into the area they were fishing and they moved on, towards the rick pond/ravens ait gate.

The problem has been bad for years now but takes something serious to happen for anything to be done, I've been complaining about them taking fish for years to the point where I don't bother anymore, I've watched them with bin bags of pike from cow common/Moseley, buckets of roach, dace and chub from the Wandle, taking perch, roach, bream and carp from the grandunion canal on the paddington arm right up to little Venice, watched them sitting on cool boxes in Richmond and shoving the bream in as they caught them...
A few years back we was being interviewed by itv for national fishing week we was on the canal in ladbrook grove with a mate from thames21 about getting kids into angling, I had my son behind me with a whip and he got snagged, when we finished recording we pulled the snag out and it was long lines from the bridge.

It's sad to see and sad that they can so easily get away with it..

Something has to be done.
Back to top Go down
James Page

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm

nice one chaps
we can all recount problems, but we need to recount solutions
signs with contact numbers are a must, preferably 24 hr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Guardians Reports 2011/12   

Back to top Go down

River Guardians Reports 2011/12